March 10

I didn’t expect the level of emotion I had this morning.  Working my way through unwinding our Mediterranean Cruise, I called IHG to cancel the two hotels we were to stay at.  One, a Kimpton brand called the Hotel Indigo in Venice and the other, the Crowne Plaza in Athens, as short two mile distance to the Acropolis.

I love Kimpton Hotels and was so excited to find one in Venice, a convenient 20 minutes from our Embarkation Point.  And was excited to find the Crowne Plaza because I had “points” to pay for it.  Also its location was perfect to meander the streets of Athens visiting Hadrian’s Arch, the Temple of Zeus, the Acropolis & the Roman Theatre as well as small side streets of shops, restaurants and friendly people.

I picked up the phone to conduct this important piece of business, the cancellations and a very nice agent brought up my reservations and first cancelled the Kimpton in Venice.  When she asked if I wanted the cancellation number, I said “yes” and she began to repeat it to me.  As I wrote it down I began crying.  Which frankly surprised me.  But it was just there, a tremendous sadness after having spent almost a year imagining the trip and what we would do.

Tonight, I went out to a School Board Candidate’s Forum.  It was mostly supportive.  But I wondered as I prepared and drove, when will my “going out” somewhere be limited?  Italy has grown from 7 or 9 cases (I can’t remember) to 10,149 cases since February 21st.  I pulled up the calendar to count the days…19. 

On January 19th, the US reported its first case of Coronavirus, we now have 1,025.  That is 1 to 1,025 in the course of 52 days. A stark difference in spread.  When pundits tell you shutting down the travel early on has slowed its spread…believe them.

On March 6th, here in Maryland, we had 3 confirmed cases, we now have 9, a full four days later.  No NEED to Panic, just yet.

But, my husband texted me a couple of empty shelves at the Commissary.  One is the shelves that hold bleach and cleaner, the other is the shelves that hold toilet paper.  He said the aisle with bottled water was plenty full.  So in this instance, people are way more afraid of running out of toilet paper than drinking water.  Probably a fairly good call as I think we will not lose municipal services such as electric or water…but that toilet paper…it is the glue that hold our civilization together and makes our interactions with one another acceptable.

Back to the School Board Forum…an acquaintance also was there.  We talked after, he is a “Govie” and because I guess he mentioned that a friend of his had gone to the CPAC Conference in D.C. where a guy has since tested positive, he has been put on home work for at least a week.  Never mind, a couple thousand people attend that Conference and he is pretty sure his friend wasn’t in the “inner circle” where the affected circulated.  He said they made him feel like a Leper.  I’ll have to admit that even I consciously kept about a 4 foot difference even though normally we are not more familiar.

Our growth in the US is WAY behind that of other countries, especially Italy.  There are several more events to go, to include my Daughter’s 40th Birthday.  I am counting the Days and Doing the Math and it is my fervent hope we can do what I am planning, a somewhat public event.

Meanwhile I am looking at the calendar for another reason, it is time to start planting, cleaning and getting the Garden ready for life and growth.  Coronavirus has come at just the right time for me, a time of hope, growth and sunshine.

Comments

Popular Posts