March 11


Last night, I was up late and I went to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus “Dashboard” to see the latest numbers.  It was about 1 a.m. on March 11, 2020.  The number in the USA was 1,025.  Right now it is 11 p.m. on March 11, 2020 and the number is 1,311.

Tonight, at 9 p.m. President Trump held an address to the Nation.  During which he announced all travel from Europe (except the United Kingdom) is being shut down.  It was a shocking announcement.  I could be wrong, but I think this is the first time in our nation’s history, that step has ever been taken, even with the fact that we fought two World Wars in Europe. 

I sat there thinking what a huge announcement and huge moment in history. At this point the European shut down is only for 30 days and accommodations will be made for American Citizens.
Tonight, I saw the news crawl that actor Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive for Coronavirus.

Tonight, I made Potato Soup. My husband brought home a few more supplies to include Sweet Potatoes.  I asked him for Sweet Potatoes because they store well and have a very long shelf life.  We put them in a netted bag and put them under the stairs, one of the coolest places in our home.

The town of New Rochelle, New York is in Quarantine and the National Guard has been deployed to deliver food and supplies as necessary.

Meanwhile, I think I will get myself together early enough tomorrow to walk a precinct for my School Board Candidate to do Door Hangers and I really want to get to Home Depot to see what plants they have that I can plant out front and in pots, it’s early, but I am sure I can find a few bright things. 

I am trying to gauge how many days I may have to get out into public to get stuff, maybe go to a restaurant or even go shopping before I am not willing to go out anymore.  Right now, I am thinking 14 days?  I very well could be wrong.

One thing I use to encourage myself is I have a big yard, a great deck and I don’t have to stay inside all day.  And, there’s a great park I can drive to and walk around the lake and really not have to have up close and personal contact with anybody.

But most important, I know this is a temporary thing.  The President also said he is about to open certain areas of China and Asia to travel as their numbers are stabilizing and going down.  The Coronavirus has a finite life span.  It’s not a forever thing.  Meanwhile I will just blog it, plant, work in the garden, work on our house in Chincoteague and just wait. 

It helps if you are good with amusing yourself or have Netflix or like puzzles and board games.  And it really helps if you just see this as more life coming at you and an act of Nature and understand you just have to “roll with it baby”.

Because, frankly, that’s how Life Works…


Comments

Popular Posts