March 4th


Sitting here tonight feeling about a million pounds lighter. 

Yesterday was the Nadir of Stress, Anxiety and Anger.  And since it was Tuesday, I made Tacos.  Then we watched “Everybody Loves Raymond” and we laughed.  Yesterday, we had made the decision to cancel the Mediterranean Cruise and just making that decision, knowing we would only get half our money back, gave us some relief.

At one point my husband gave me a hug and said “We will go to Greece.”  I wanted to cry but thought better of it. 

Yesterday we instructed our Travel Agent to cancel today.  She answered about 4 hours later that she would cancel this morning. 

So this morning I waited, my husband waited.  Nothing.  The window was finite.  If she didn’t cancel or let’s say there was a “glitch” I would have to pound out a letter to Oceania, run to the Post Office and pay whatever it took to get it to their Miami Headquarters by close of business tomorrow. 

As the morning went on, yet again, I became agitated. Epithets were hurled into the air.  I warned Adam, our houseguest, to get my bail money ready. 

Finally, at noon, we were sent the confirmation of cancellation.  I thanked the Lord but also questioned why this whole process had been so difficult, although I already knew the answer.  Money is a powerful incentive.

About two hours later I started to feel the lightness to the point I actually tuned into music vs. the news channels on my Sirius.  I figured a couple hours without Coronavirus would clear my mind.  And it did. I think today was my first “productive day” in the last week. 

The hubby sent me an email about a home and garden show at our Fairgrounds this weekend.  He mentioned crafts, specialty jams and scented candles. He never does that.  He hates what he calls “Frou-Frou” stuff. It was an amazingly loving, sacrificial gesture.  Yes, for now, let’s see what things look like by Friday.  His fall back offer was “How about we hang out and do a Boardwalk Empire marathon?”  “With Popcorn?” I asked.  “Sure,” he said.  “In Pajamas?” I asked. “Whatever you want,” he said.

Sounds so way much better than anything I’ve heard in the last week.

My optimism was so much better, I asked Adam “Hey you want to go get breakfast at IHop tomorrow?” He laughed and said “Sure.” 

I responded “Well Adam, who knows how much longer we have to go out to a restaurant?  Maryland is fine right now, so we might as well take advantage of that.  And this time, I will take the ‘All You Can Eat Pancakes’ that they let you box up and take home.”

Adam laughed.  I think we are all much happier tonight.

But in the back of my mind are questions, lots of them.  I was told by Oceania that Italy had not closed its Venice Port and until they closed that Port Oceania would not cancel.  On February 21st, Italy had 9 Coronavirus patients, today it went over 3,000.  Their death rate is higher than China’s.  Italy’s health care system is on the brink of collapse.  

But, they see no need to close their Port in Venice, the Veneto Region that along with the Lombardy Region is the hardest hit and the highest infectious?

And while the transmissions are increasing at rapid pace within the country, they show less responsibility for their actions than the Communist Regime of China?

And while I write this, the Grand Princess Cruise ship set to dock at San Francisco is being held at sea with 2,500 passengers onboard.  Helicopters are on their way with medical personnel to conduct testing, people are reporting illness and the first man who died in California had been on that last cruise of the Grand Princess.

I think we made a good decision.  I pray for all of those who are affected by this occurrence of nature that has been visited upon us.





Comments

Popular Posts